So one of the reasons for my absence from my blog for a couple of weeks was that I was preparing cards for the Ronald McDonald Christmas Cheer Challenge. This was a challenge to create Christmas Cards in one weekend that would then be donated for use by the charity in their homes. If you haven’t heard of this charity before then please take a moment to read on about the work that they do
Each of the Houses is attached to a specialist Children’s Hospital and they provide a warm and welcoming environment to enable families to stay close by while a child is in hospital. There are rooms for each family, along with communal areas such as kitchens and play rooms. Accommodation is provided for days, weeks or even years if needed. One of the ways in which Stampin’ Up! support the charity is to provide cards for the use of families. The last thing they need while a child is on in hospital is to worry about having to shop for cards, so we demonstrators donate cards for them to use free of charge. Earlier in the year we had a Card challenge weekend where we made over 10 000 cards…. our challenge for the first weekend in December was to make 20 000!
I know from personal experience what a difference the houses make. As you may recall, my nephew was diagnosed with a brain tumour early this year and was in in Birmingham Children’s Hospital for operations three times this year, my sister in law was able to use the house to stay close by and have just a little normality! She is now in America with James whilst he receives Proton Beam therapy and again is benefiting from being able to stay in one of the houses there.
I was lucky enough to be picked to participate in the kickoff event at the Manchester House with 7 others and we were targetting 100 cards each, I made 120 Cards and the total for our event was 920…along with some Facebook live broadcasts – oh and maybe a mince pie or two! We also were lucky to have a tour of the house to see the facilities available.
Anyway….these are the two cards I made. In advance of the event I prepared 120 of the layers and bows for the wreath card and 30 of the eskimos, so all I needed to do was stamp and assemble on the day ( I finished the remainder after the event).
So a bit of a ramble today, but I hope you will excuse it 🙂